When it comes to modernizing your office space, it’s easy to overlook the role that door design and hardware play in the overall aesthetic. However, these functional details significantly impact the design of your workspace, which further impacts productivity, security, and functionality.
The right door design will value craftsmanship and act as a long-lasting investment, modernizing your office space — whether a commercial office or home-office setting.
As experts in durable and innovative door design and hardware, we’ve put together a guide on modernizing your office while prioritizing space, security, privacy, and budget.
Benefits of Modernizing Office Space
Before diving into key office space considerations, let’s touch on a few benefits of modernizing the working environment.
Why should you invest in a modern and aesthetically pleasing environment? And what other benefits emerge when using state-of-the-art, high-quality materials?
● Enhanced productivity: An office space with well-designed doors and high-quality hardware contributes to an environment that promotes productivity by eliminating distractions and improving workflow.
● Improved aesthetics: Investing in a modern and stylish office environment leaves a positive impression on clients, visitors, and employees, creating a professional image that boosts morale and contributes to a positive brand image.
● Space optimization: Incorporating suitable door designs, such as sliding doors or bi-parting doors, enhances accessibility and ease of movement within the office.
● Long-term cost savings: Investing in high-quality materials and craftsmanship ensures durability and longevity, reducing the need for frequent repairs or replacements.
● Increased employee satisfaction: If you’re working in a commercial office, then a modern and visually appealing environment creates an inspiring atmosphere for employees, contributing to overall job satisfaction and motivation.
● Improved collaboration and communication: Thoughtfully designed doors and hardware facilitate better collaboration and communication by supporting open-concept layouts, while providing privacy when needing to focus.
● Better health and well-being: A modern office that prioritizes natural light, ventilation, and ergonomic conditions positively impacts the health and well-being of those working in the space.
The Role of Door and Hardware Types in Elevating a Space
In addition to paint, layout, and furniture, the types of doors and hardware used in a space play a key role in boosting its overall aesthetic appeal and functionality. Whether it’s a commercial or a home office, the door design and hardware choice can make a significant impact.
If you want to improve convenience and accessibility, swinging and bi-parting sliding doors are great options. You can also consider decorative hinges or a decorative flat track to add a touch of elegance and sophistication.
Some modern office space trends include the following:
● Minimalist wooden office doors with metallic combinations
● Sleek, transparent glass barn doors with aluminum
● Sliding doors to make small offices feel more spacious
● A reinvention of the classic double door design by including glazed glass panels or colorful frames
● Shoji-style office doors that incorporate more natural lighting and optimize space
● Framed glass swing doors that offer privacy and sophistication (make the glass patterned to match the company’s brand)
● Elegant French doors incorporate a sophisticated atmosphere while separating spaces for meeting rooms or private offices
Key Considerations for the Office Space
Whether you’re updating your home office space as you settle into the remote work lifestyle or giving the commercial office an innovative overhaul, there are a few key considerations to keep in mind.
Maximizing available space is a priority for home offices, especially with limited square footage. Sliding doors are an excellent option as they can save valuable floor space by operating smoothly along tracks, eliminating the need for swing clearance. Pocket doors are another useful inclusion, sliding into a concealed pocket within the wall when fully opened.
Similarly, space optimization via sliding doors and bi-fold doors in commercial offices ensure efficient workflow and productivity. For example, they create flexible room configurations, allowing for easy adaptation of spaces based on changing needs. Sliding doors also enhance accessibility, allowing employees to move quickly between different areas without obstruction.
Security in an office ensures that valuable assets, sensitive information, and the personal privacy of your employees and clients are protected. Recent modernization trends that have been used to enhance office security include the installation of sturdy exterior doors, reliable locking mechanisms, and surveillance systems. Heavy-duty hinges are excellent for exterior door security, providing added strength and resistance against forced entry attempts.
These strap hinges are also effective when securing commercial offices where the safety of employees, assets, and confidential information is essential. You can also add additional door hardware, such as cane bolts or slide latches to enhance office security.
The overall design and layout play an important role in both home and commercial offices, influencing the overall ambiance, productivity, and client perception. Whether you’ve chosen a contemporary, sophisticated, or rustic aesthetic, you should try to continue this theme into the door design and finishes.
If you prefer not to draw attention to finishes and hardware, you can opt for subtle details. For example, an invisible hinge is designed to be hidden from view when a door or cabinet is closed, providing a seamless appearance. Combining carefully chosen exterior frame buildings with the right door hardware finishes can elevate the door’s look and complement the overall design while remaining functional.
In the home office, minimizing household distractions and allowing for confidentiality is important, so modernization efforts should focus on selecting door designs that offer privacy features. For example, solid panels or opaque glass options to close off a space.
It’s also worth considering acoustics and methods to reduce noise disturbances, such as using soundproofing gaskets, implementing smooth-sliding top mount flat track hardware, and heavy-duty hardware.
In commercial spaces, the need for privacy may vary depending on the nature of the business. In this case, versatility is key, and sliding or bi-fold doors offer the necessary privacy while maintaining an open and modern feel. Sliding room dividers also allow for versatility when space is limited.
Addressing privacy through appropriate door designs and hardware creates an environment conducive to focus, confidentiality, and accessibility.
Durability and Budget
Investing in durable solutions ensures longevity and minimizes the need for regular, costly repairs or replacements. Hardware kits, such as for flat-track hardware, offer a robust and reliable sliding door solution, providing stable and smooth operation for regularly used doors in the home and commercial office spaces.
Another option is box-track hardware which is sturdy in design and has a high weight capacity of up to 5,000 lbs., making it a durable solution for high-traffic areas. It’s possible to save money in the long run by prioritizing durability while achieving a modern aesthetic, due to the track being enclosed.
Interior or Exterior Location
The interior or exterior location of the door is an important consideration for several reasons. For example, the right finish will depend on the door’s location. Consider that interior doors face less wear and tear, while external doors may need a galvanized finish for protection.
Manual or Powered Operation
The choice of manual or powered operation plays a role in accessibility and efficient workflow in high-traffic areas, both of which are important considerations in commercial office spaces. You also want to keep in mind the frequency of use and the durability required of the materials.
Powered operations, such as automated sliding doors or swinging doors, enhance accessibility for individuals with mobility challenges, allowing for hands-free access. Flat-track hardware is another effective solution for smooth operation, primarily when used with automation.
If your commercial office includes warehouses, storage facilities, or retail spaces, then it’s also important to consider rolling door hardware and whether the people using these spaces would benefit more from manual or power operated doors.
Top Tips for Modernizing a Home Office
If you’ve readjusted your living space to accommodate a home office, remember the following tips when incorporating door design in the residential space.
● Evaluate the space and assess how door design can optimize it, considering sliding doors or bi-fold doors which use less space than traditional swinging doors
● Incorporate natural light by choosing door designs with glass panels and elegant finishes (or frosted glass if you need more privacy)
● Opt for minimalistic, high-quality hardware to reduce distractions and prolong your investment
● Consider acoustic solutions, such as soundproofing gaskets, especially if you have a busy family
● Embrace your unique style and personality that compliments your home aesthetic
● Insist on safety and security by investing in high-quality door hardware, sturdy hinges, and secure locking mechanisms
Top Tips for Modernizing a Commercial Office
Investing in quality door hardware for commercial office spaces is important for several reasons, from creating a productive environment and leaving a positive first impression on clients to enhancing security and optimizing space. Consider the following tips when modernizing the commercial office.
● Assess traffic flow and determine the most suitable door designs, ensuring easy passage in high-traffic areas and entryways.
● Optimize space utilization by investing in doors that use less space and provide flexibility in room configurations, such as sliding doors or bi-parting doors.
● Prioritize accessibility in accordance with the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) by considering automatic doors or installing door hardware with lever handles.
● Enhance privacy by incorporating doors with frosted glass.
● Invest in high-quality security features, such as secure deadbolts and access control systems in necessary areas.
● Create collaborative spaces for brainstorming and socializing by using bi-fold doors to open up common areas and allow for easy communication and teamwork.
● Consider branding opportunities and align the office design with the company’s aesthetic by selecting customized handles and unique finishes.
Experts in Specialty Hardware
At RW Hardware, our team is committed to bringing durable, high-quality products to the market to boost your space and improve its longevity and functionality.
Shop high-quality hardware — including swinging and sliding door kits, trucks, handles, latches — that hold strong at our online shop. Need additional support? Give us a call at 800-253-5668 to chat with our team.